There are 24 Building Services staff who work on 3 different shifts: 1st shift is 5:30 am – 2:30 pm, 2nd shift is 1:00 pm – 10:00 pm and 3rd shift is 10:00 pm – 7:00 am. Their duties include but are not limited to vacuuming all entrances & doorways, sweeping and mopping floors, dusting ceilings, cleaning and disinfecting urinals/ toilets. They also clean mirrors, dispensers, and partitions, spot clean walls and baseboards, clean sanitary cans, and disinfect door handles. They also check the restrooms once every hour.
Some other duties include:
- Entrances, and Lobbies and Corridors:
- Empty waste receptacles; remove debris, leaves, and litter.
- Vacuum carpet areas and mats; remove gum and soil spots.
- Disinfect drinking fountains.
- Clean entrance doors glass.
- Empty waste receptacle and replace liners.
- Clean marker boards, chalk boards and chalk trays
- Vacuum traffic patterns on carpets floors; remove gum spots.
- Dust mop and wet mop tiled floors.
- Clean glass doors and partitions.
Spills are also handled by the custodians and should be reported as quickly as possible. Blood and other bodily fluids will be cleaned in accordance with universal precautions. Spills of hazardous materials, or chemicals and general disposal of hazardous waste are the responsibility of the University Police at (812) 941-2400.
Emergency situations should be phoned in to the Physical Plant at (812) 941-2330, but all other requests must be received in writing. For emergency situations after normal business hours contact University Police at (812) 941-2400.